Built by C. S. Swan and Hunter at Wallsend on the River Tyne, RMS Carpathia was launched on August 6, 1902 and entered service the following May. The 13,603-ton ship was 558 feet long, with a beam of 64 feet and a capacity for 12,500 tons of cargo. Her twin quadruple-expansion reciprocating steam engines and propellers gave her a service speed of fourteen knots.
Originally built for 200 second- and 1700 third-class passengers, Carpathia was refit in 1905 to carry 150 first-class passengers on Mediterranean cruises, her second-class accommodation being reduced to 50. Carpathia spent most of her career in Cunard’s Mediterranean-American service, delivering immigrants to New York from Trieste and Fiume in the Austro-Hungarian Empire or Naples and Sicily in Italy.
During the First World War she carried soldiers and supplies in the opposite direction. While westbound in convoy west of Ireland on July 17, 1918, Carpathia was struck by three torpedoes fired by the German submarine U-55 and sank with the loss of five of her boiler-room crew.
See a montage of images, mostly exteriors, of RMS Carpathia. Rostron commanded the ship throughout 1912. He and his officers during the Titanic rescue appear in one photo, and another slightly blurred image shows Carpathia from astern, approaching New York, with some of Titanic’s lifeboats slung on her davits outboard of her own. The sequence also contains several images of Titanic survivors. The final photograph is of Carpathia sinking into the Atlantic in July 1918, the victim of three German torpedoes.